|Suggested Age||17 and up|
Utter Nonsense is a card game where players combine stereotypical accents with outrageous phrases to create sayings that are just plain ridiculous. Picture a grandma bragging about sexting or a redneck evaluating the finer points of an isosceles triangle. Each game comes complete with 40 Accent Cards and 460 Phrase Cards. Sometimes the phrases pair well with the accents, but for the most part they don’t — and that’s Utter Nonsense.
How You Play
The game consists of Accent Cards and Phrase Cards that players combine and act out. Sometimes phrases pair well with the accent, but more often, they don’t — and that’s Utter Nonsense.
1. Each game set has 40 Accent Cards and 460 Phrase Cards.
2. All players have 7 Phrase Cards.
3. One player serves as the Nonsense Judge and selects the Accent Card for the round.
4. Once the Accent Card is revealed, players select one Phrase Card from their hand, and say it in the accent indicated.
5. It’s up to the Nonsense Judge to decide which player’s phrase and accent combination is the funniest, and that player wins the round.
6. After a player wins 5 rounds, that player wins the game.
You don’t have to be good at accents and the combinations don’t need to make sense; in fact, we encourage players to make the Phrase Cards their own. With each successive round, competition sets in and the most composed, mild mannered players become improv masters.